FINALMENTE ARRIVA IL MESSIA

Suonare e costruire i violini
Arca
Utente Esperto I
Utente Esperto I
Contatta:

Messaggio da Arca »

Si effettivamente mi è capitato di poter fare delle foto in musei pubblici, sono un appassionato (non mi prendete in giro anche voi) di Hieronymus Bosch, pittore quanto meno "anomalo" vissuto tra il 1400 / 1500 e a Venezia mi è stato concesso di fare foto senza flash, il museo era statale.
Boh forse si pensa di guadagnare di più vendendo le foto e poster venduti dal museo, è sicuramente è così.
Se vediamo il costo dell'ultimo libro sulle forme di Stradivari.. 140 euro!
Per 140 euro voglio che l'autore me lo legga tutte le sere mentre sono a letto, e che nel frattempo mi mescoli la colla nel mantraccio.
Alessandro Mattei
davidesora
Liutaio
Liutaio
Contatta:

Messaggio da davidesora »

claudio ha scritto:Ne abbiamo parlato tempo fa in occasione della modifica della norma che ora permette le riprese fotografiche nei musei italiani. Davide si informò e gli fu risposto che il museo del violino non è pubblico.
Già, dimenticavo che ora almeno nei musei pubblici è permesso....
alajhon
Utente Registrato
Utente Registrato

Messaggio da alajhon »

Hello everyone!

I am building a violin based on the poster Strad of this model (Messiah), something that caught my attention is the height of the plates. It has 13.8 mm of top plate and 15.4 mm of back plate. The top plate is lower than the back plate, I have usually seen the opposite in other models, what effect can this feature have on the tonality of the violin?
Sorry if I posted this message in the wrong post.
Thank you.
Alan Jhones - Sao Paulo Brazil
claudio
Liutaio
Liutaio
Contatta:

Messaggio da claudio »

Hi Alajhon,
where come from the dimensions you reported of 13.8 and 15.4mm?
andante con fuoco
alajhon
Utente Registrato
Utente Registrato

Messaggio da alajhon »

Hi Claudio!
The arching heigth to belly is 13.8 mm, and the arching heigth to back plate is 15.4 mm. I found these measurements strange, I always saw the opposite, the belly being higher than the back plate;
Alan Jhones
claudio
Liutaio
Liutaio
Contatta:

Messaggio da claudio »

Where come from these measurements? from the Ashmolean Museum, The Strad posters, or?
andante con fuoco
alajhon
Utente Registrato
Utente Registrato

Messaggio da alajhon »

The measurements were taken from the poster of The Strad, follow a part of the table of measures, a friend of mine studies in Cremona and went to visit the violin in the museum this week, and informed me that really the top is lower than the back plate.

https://i.imgsafe.org/4ba31078a4.jpg
claudio
Liutaio
Liutaio
Contatta:

Messaggio da claudio »

You have two choices, if your purpose is to make an exact copy of the Messia, you must adopt the real measurements. But if you are making a violin ìnspired to the Messia, you are free to follow those measurements or not.

Regarding the influence on the tone, having a belly lower than the back produces a more dark tone. Born in mind that these "inverted" measurements are consequence of the string tension through the time, so I cannot fully understand why the Messia have these measurements although it is an almost unused instrument.
andante con fuoco
alajhon
Utente Registrato
Utente Registrato

Messaggio da alajhon »

Claudio, another detail is the low thickness of the belly, reaching 2.1 mm in the acoustic center. I do not know if to compensate the belly with low arching. I think I will change the heights of belly arching and back arching.
davidesora
Liutaio
Liutaio
Contatta:

alajhon ha scritto:Hi Claudio!
The arching heigth to belly is 13.8 mm, and the arching heigth to back plate is 15.4 mm. I found these measurements strange, I always saw the opposite, the belly being higher than the back plate;
Alan Jhones
Not so strange, the Medici 1716 has 14.5 mm back and 13.4 mm top, the Cremonese 1715 has 16.1 back and 15.4 top, does not seem that there is a constant in this regard in the work of Stradivari.
But you could also find standard measures of Sacconi if you carefully look for, for example the Parke 1711 with 14.8 mm back and 15.5 mm top.
It is difficult to state an acoustic effect only considering the heights of arches, although what Claudio says I think goes in the right direction.
The problem with the Messiah is that we never heard how it perform acoustically, so on what basis its arches would be copied?
alajhon
Utente Registrato
Utente Registrato

Messaggio da alajhon »

Hi Davide! I'm in this dilemma, keep the original Strad poster measures or change the arching to the measures I'm accustomed to using. As we do not have information of its acoustic performance, hangs this doubt ...
I'm thinking of doing as the poster and paying to see, or rather hear :lol: :lol:
davidesora
Liutaio
Liutaio
Contatta:

alajhon ha scritto:Hi Davide! I'm in this dilemma, keep the original Strad poster measures or change the arching to the measures I'm accustomed to using. As we do not have information of its acoustic performance, hangs this doubt ...
I'm thinking of doing as the poster and paying to see, or rather hear :lol: :lol:
You can do it safely, it would not be the first violin to work well with low archings, there are illustrious predecessors both in Stradivari and Guarneri del Gesù violins.
I willingly leave to you this challenge, currently I am more intrigued by high archings. 8)
Rispondi