Hello.

Stringed Instruments International Discussion Board.
Rispondi
Toad
Utente Registrato
Utente Registrato
Contatta:

Hello.

Messaggio da Toad »

Hey,

I am new here and just wanted to say hello to everyone. I am sorry I don't speak Italian but will promise to try and learn :wink:

Maybe we could start with a discussion of wood, bassbars or varnish? Or all three.

Nice work and nice website also!!!
claudio
Liutaio
Liutaio
Contatta:

Messaggio da claudio »

Hi Toad, you are welcome :)
Sure, we can start a discussion about all the violinmaking and music arguments. Are you a violinmaker, violin enthusiast?
Toad
Utente Registrato
Utente Registrato
Contatta:

Messaggio da Toad »

Woohoo it works.

To answer your qestion caludio I am a violin maker. I am canadian but work in a shop in Gothenborg, Sweden. I went to school in Sweden and had some "praktik" in Italy (cremona).

I quite like your site and photos are terrific.
claudio
Liutaio
Liutaio
Contatta:

Messaggio da claudio »

Welcome again Toad, have you a website or photos to share with us? I'm curious to know your works and talk about our violins.
Toad
Utente Registrato
Utente Registrato
Contatta:

Messaggio da Toad »

Sorry I don't have a website yet. I have a friend who is working on one for me though. I should have it up and running in the next little while.

I have to check if I have any photos. I am busy with restoration and repair most of the time so I don't really get a chance to take many photos.

I really like your work! What kind of varnish do you use+ If you don't mind me asking?
claudio
Liutaio
Liutaio
Contatta:

Messaggio da claudio »

I use 2 types of varnishes mainly: oil and alcohol. The first is based on the colophony cooked with hydrated lime, the second is based on the shellac.
In my experience they give me different results to the eye, but not so much differences from the point of view of the tone.
Toad
Utente Registrato
Utente Registrato
Contatta:

Messaggio da Toad »

Colophonium and hydrated lime that sounds interesting. How does it work? Or what is the procedure rather?

I use a colophonium/mastic varnish with alittle venetian turps. It's basically the recipe from Gary Bease's book with the addition fo the vt. I have used amber varnish as well but I feel that it was too hard. I have another recipe for amber varnish with Venetian turpentine but I haven't made it yet.

Have you ever sold any instrumetns in Sweden?
claudio
Liutaio
Liutaio
Contatta:

Messaggio da claudio »

It works good here. Cook the colophonium on a moderated fire and add a 6/7% of hydrated lime. Then if you want, you con boil the linseed oil separately and add a 5% of hydrated lime. When the oil is cooked add it to the colophonium, cook and mix for several minutes. You need of the UVB lamps to dry the varnish correctly. Please cook this varnish outdoor, danger of fire!!

No, I didn't sell any my instrument in Sweden.
piase
Utente Esperto I
Utente Esperto I
Contatta:

Messaggio da piase »

Hej hej Toad!

Nice to meet you!
I was in Sweden for a couple on september-october 2004: It was really amazing! (even if it was for work)
I was in jonköping, and all that wood and forest was impressive!

See you!

Hey då!
Toad
Utente Registrato
Utente Registrato
Contatta:

Messaggio da Toad »

Ciao piase,

I am glad that you enjoyed Sweden. That area is very nice indeed. We had a very big strom here in January and thousands of hectares of forrest blew down. I heard a quote that if they stack all of the wood that fell during the strom in a 3 meter high 3 meter wide stack it could reach from Stockholm to Barcelona.

That's a hell of alot of wood.

Where are you from in Italy? Pisa? I would love to spend more time in Italy. I was there for a few months on practice with a Cremonese violin maker. I very much enjoyed myself.
edomarch
Utente Esperto I
Utente Esperto I

Messaggio da edomarch »

Hi Toad, welcome in this wonderful place :-)

I know another liuther (I know him through facebook) from Goteborg! Is Birger Fredricson. He posts a lot about his works and his way to work.

I'm just a beginner in this world and I will not so helpfull here, anyway this is the right place to share your experience and improve it ;-)

see you around

Edoardo
Era un mondo adulto, si sbagliava da professionisti. [Paolo Conte]
Rispondi