Hide Glue

Stringed Instruments International Discussion Board.
Rispondi
frank
Utente Registrato
Utente Registrato

Hide Glue

Messaggio da frank »

How can one determine the quality of the hide glue?

I have both hide glue from Kremer and Morassi. I noticed some differences in their characteristics.

Morassi hide glue (granular):
The color is very pale. After prepared, the viscosity of the solution tends to be consistent and flows nicely. When the glue solution dried completely in a jar, the film is completely colorless, transparent, and very even. It seems to become part of the glass jar. If I did not know there was glue in there, I might not even notice the film.

Kremer hide glue (granular):
The color is darker. I find it harder to bring it to a consistent viscosity during preparation. It seems to require higher temperature (and it takes longer) to get good consistncy. When the glue solution dried completely in a jar, the film remains brown/amber color. And it is uneven with little bubble and dimples.

Does this mean the Morassi hide glue is better? Or did I get something else other then Hide glue from Morassi, such as bone glue, rabbit skin glue, or fish glue?

perhaps my first question should be "are they both Hide glue?"
claudio
Liutaio
Liutaio
Contatta:

Messaggio da claudio »

Frank, the Morassi's glue seems to be better because made from skins, mainly. How they smell, Kremer's and Morassi's glue? Notice: if you use only morassi's glue, you have to work very quickly, because the skin glue gelatinize in a very short time (but it is a very "strong" glue). Usually we make a mixture of clear and dark glue, to have a good working solution.
The darker colour of the Kremer's glue is due to the various components:
bones, cartilaginous structures, skins. I used the Morassi's glue for the last violin: it seems work properly, but test your glues and tell us the results.
Rispondi