Viotti Strad.

Stringed Instruments International Discussion Board.
Rispondi
Toad
Utente Registrato
Utente Registrato
Contatta:

Viotti Strad.

Messaggio da Toad »

Hello long time no post!!!

I was wondering what you thought of the Viotti Strad poster with the The Strad this month Claudio?

I think I might make one after the violin I am currently working on. The only problem I see with it is that it's quite big 358 across the back, eck.
claudio
Liutaio
Liutaio
Contatta:

Messaggio da claudio »

I didn't see this poster yet, is the lenght of the body measured over the arching?
Toad
Utente Registrato
Utente Registrato
Contatta:

Messaggio da Toad »

It's a sweet violin. Really beautiful. 8O

I have been working from a Montagnana model for a while but I am itching to make this one.

To be honest I don't think it's over the arch but I could be wrong about that. I guess now thinking about it the measurement probably is.

Even so it's big!!!
claudio
Liutaio
Liutaio
Contatta:

Messaggio da claudio »

yes, it is big! :lol:
Sincerely, I made similar models several years ago and it is not so comfortable (the diapason should be about 197mm). I think more comfortable and sonorous (clearer tone) the models pre 1700, not the long pattern.
Have you some photos of your last Montagnana?
Manfio
Liutaio
Liutaio
Contatta:

Messaggio da Manfio »

The Viotti was the subject of a topic in MAESTRONET sometime ago, it seems it has very thin plates.

Claudio, I also had a prejudice against Long Strads, but the best violin sound I've ever heard was that produced by Leonidas Kavacos in a Long Strad.
claudio
Liutaio
Liutaio
Contatta:

Messaggio da claudio »

that was the Kavakos' tone! :lol:
Toad
Utente Registrato
Utente Registrato
Contatta:

Messaggio da Toad »

Good point!

I have a player interested in the violin. He wanted a copy/model of the Strad that the orchestra owns here. Its 1698 or somehting and its a terrible violin. The upper eyes of the f holes are 32 mm apart or some damn thing. He likes it because its small!!!

Manfio or Claudio do you have anything you would like to sell or have shown in Sweden? I am just about up and running with my shop and I need to have some more instruments. I am focusing my attention on contemporary makers and avoiding the "old Italian" aspect. Of course there are some good instruments in Sweden but no one here walks into your shop and says I want a violin for 100,000 Euro. That doesn't happen in Sweden and I have many students and professionals for that fact of the matter who get ripped off from the dealers around here.

So I would rather sell peoples instruments that I know, where they came from, etc... If either of you are interested please do let me know.

I don't really have many pictures of my violins Claudio but maybe I can put some up of the current violin I am working on. I have a few others of an old Swedish violin from 1798 which is somewhat interesting.
claudio
Liutaio
Liutaio
Contatta:

Messaggio da claudio »

Toad, check your mail, I sent you a message to your address shown here.
Toad
Utente Registrato
Utente Registrato
Contatta:

Messaggio da Toad »

Thanks Claudio I have sent you a response.

I'll try to navagate the Italian and try to post some photos!!!

About the thickness of the Viotti I think its interesting. I was looking at a book about the Austrian National Bank collection and there where some interesting graduations listed there. One thing it seems is that if the violin is thinner on the top its thicker on the back, if its thicker on the top its thinner on the back, and well some are just about equal. I wish the book had more information as its difficult not to generalize.

Having arching templates from the instruemtns in the book would have helped.
Manfio
Liutaio
Liutaio
Contatta:

Messaggio da Manfio »

Hi Toad! My personal e.mail is

lmanfio@gmail.com

I can send you some photos. Ciao.
Toad
Utente Registrato
Utente Registrato
Contatta:

Messaggio da Toad »

Hej Manfio,

Thanks I sent you a mail. I look forward to the photos.

Ciao
Rispondi